Which Gumstix supports .NET Compact Framework development?

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2008 at 2:14 PM
Hi, really interested in seing Windows CE 6.0 running in a Gumstix board, nevertheless, I'm afraid I don't have any experience neither with Gumstix nor Windows CE. I've "only" got tons of experience in developing applications for Windows Mobile devices, using .NET Compact Framework.

My idea is to code if possible in a high-level programming language (C# with Compact Framework for example) and be able to run this code in lowcost boards like Gumstix. I first thought in .NET MicroFramework like a Gumstix equivalent board/platform, but still these boards are far more expensive than Gumstix boards and functionality exposed by its libraries is still more limited than .NET Compact Framework.

1)Therefore, which Gumstix board is the most appropiate to run this concrete Windows CE image you post? Would like my board to support Bluetooth, WIFI, and would like to connect to it a touch screen, just like a Windows Mobile device. Also must support and let me write .NET Compact Framework applications.

2) What about "installing" the Windows CE image in the Gumstix board? Is it very painful? Is there any info out there with a detailed description about how to proceed? Should I need Visual Studio, Platform Builder or somethig similar? Possibility of performing a rollback in case of a wrong installation?

I would really appreciate if you could confirm me these points and if you could give me some little advices or hints around how to start running Windows CE on top of Gumstix.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to explain all the terms accurately.

Thanks very much in advance.

Miguel
Blog: http://lonifasiko.blogspot.com
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2008 at 5:10 PM
The simple answer is yes the GumstixIII supports managed code development using the Compact Framework 2.0. I have been using it right along and is my
prefered method of development.
Depending on how much work you want to do, you have a few of options.
1) Buy preconfigured kit.
Bill Mar at Special Computing will be selling completely configured kits preinstalled with Windows CE 6.0.
2) Buy the parts and install it your self from the prebult binaries posted here.
3) Download the binary BSP code and use Platform Builder to generate your own image.

Obviously number one is the least painfull path.
Number two takes a little more work but still does not require Platform Builder knoweledge, but you are limited to the components
installed in the prebuilt binary image.
Number three requires Platform Builder and OS generation knoweledge (a steep learning curve ..dispite what Mike Hall says). It is the most versatile though, as you are in complete contol of what components and technology you want to include in the image.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:34 AM
Edited Jan 29, 2008 at 7:34 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

1) It's nice to know that Special Computing will sell completely preconfigured Gumstix kits with Windows CE 6.0. When do they plan to start selling these kits and what would be the price? I suppose you'll announce it in this group.

2) In case I buy my own Gumstix device and a touch screen, how painful would be the process of "installing" the binaries in the deivce? Just copy and I'd have Ethernet, Bluetooth and touch screen functionality ready to go?

3) As fas as I can, I'll try avoiding using Platform Builder ;-)

My idea is to have a cheap Windows CE device that lets me run robotics services developed wioth Robotics Studio. I've tried running them in a PDA, but I wanted a "more industrial device", and if possible, cheaper.......

Best regards.

Miguel
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM
1) You can reach Bill throught his web site http://www.specialcomp.com or contact him throught this web site (see People tab).

2) You have to be able to follow directions. Ethernet, Bluetooth and touch screen are all working and included in test image.

3) Good idea.

DV
Jan 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM
Edited Jan 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM
In case I buy my own Gumstix device, where should I follow the "directions" you mention? Is there any document describing newbie and detailed steps to deploy the downloadable image in the device? I would really appreciate any help on this.

As I'm not very familiar with Gumstix , in case deployed image does not work correctly, is it possible to rollback and let the Gumstix device same way it originally comes?

Thanks very much for your patience.

Miguel
Jan 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM
Hi,

I need SAPI 5.0. I know it is a platform builder component but if I go with option 2 could I install this api without having to use platform builder?

Cheers.

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM

lonifasiko wrote:
In case I buy my own Gumstix device, where should I follow the "directions" you mention? Is there any document describing newbie and detailed steps to deploy the downloadable image in the device? I would really appreciate any help on this.

As I'm not very familiar with Gumstix , in case deployed image does not work correctly, is it possible to rollback and let the Gumstix device same way it originally comes?

Thanks very much for your patience.

Miguel

Read the documentation ... most of your questions are answered there.