USB Boot

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM
Does the Verdex UBOOT allow booting from a USB flash drive?
I'm sure the answer is likely NO due to the overhead of including the USB code.
But just thought I'd ask anyways...I'd like to avoid putting on a netCF-vx card in addition to the consoleLCD-vx just to get the thing to boot up.
That makes for a 3-stack which is little bigger than what I want.
I don't think I can get the image small enough to fit in the 16M flash either (assuming I use the bluetooth verdex and not the xl6p).

As a side note to this also how would one go about putting the NK.bin in flash if I do get one small enough?
Feb 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM
You can do complete development (under my EBOOT) including downloading and kitl debugging using just a USB connection but I would not recommend it.
Better to use the Ethernet (netCF or netMicro) for your development and when you get the image and application stable, remove the Ethernet card.
Its what I do.
Yes you can make a full functioning image in less the 16M. Most images that include just the minimum "standard" stuff, including Bluetooth, usually run around 12 to 14mb.
If you start throwing in Compact Framework, Media Player, etc. of course you will have to watch your image size if you want to boot from onboard flash.
If you boot from the storage media on netCF or netMicro you do not have a size limit but it boot slower ..of course.

As to your last point., read the documentation it fully described.

DV