Hardware config utility

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:51 AM
For those of you who are "binary" challenged I just added a desktop form based utility that makes it easy to calculate the value needed for entry into the Hardware Configuration setting in the boot loader.
The utility is called "SetGumstixHardwareWord" and it lives in the "Tools" directory.
It takes into account all dependencies so its almost impossible to arrive at an illegal setting.

DV
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM
Is there any more information that can be given about the hardware word.
I want to use a bespoke design that uses a Samsung display connected as if it were on a console board and the touch screen connected as if it were on an audiostix (via UCB1400)
Will the existing binary allow me to set a HW word that can support that configuration.
Is it possible to see how the HW word is used in the files that are downloaded or is that something that can only be seen after purchasing the source code?

Thanks

Ben
Feb 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM
The hardware word basically controls the loading of the drivers at startup. If not selected the driver just fails to load.
This is the easiest way to have one image that supports may hardware configurations. The drivers are loaded at run time.
The goal was to only support the "standard" Gumstix configurations in the prebuilt image.
Most people build an image to a specific hardware configuration (that will not chage). Including only the needed components and drivers.
If you are doing any customization like this its probably best to purchase the source code.
Mar 28, 2008 at 10:11 PM
SetGumstixHardwareWord is missing in the tools directory.

pls point me some link from where i can download it.
Mar 30, 2008 at 1:32 PM
It is in the archive. The rolled up release in the "Releases" is slightly out of sync and was made befor I finished the utility.
Download the latest change set from the "sources" tab. Unpack it should be in there.