How to copy image to SD card or flash??

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:46 AM
I have been reading through the "GumstixIII Windows CE 6.0 BSP documentation" and am doing my best to follow along using my XM4 but do not understand how to flash the device with the provided OS image (NK.bin). I have loaded the 'eboot' boot loader and would like to setup the device for managed code development. I am at "5. Copy default image to SD or CF card (or flash if size permits)." How is this done? Are there any instructions? To what address do I need to copy this image, and will it leave the EBOOT intact?

Also, if I do not have an LCD, is there a way to remotely use the windows CE desktop from my desktop?

Finally, is it possible to have the CE image on internal flash but for user programs to run from CD/MMC?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM
Please note, the present prebuilt NK.bin image is too big to flash to onboard flash on a XM4 (16M), its ok for the XL6 (32M).
Therefor for XM4 copy to storage card SD (netMicrosd) or CF (netCF). The easyest way to do this is just get a CF or SD card reader for your PC
there are several USB based readers that can be had for under $30. It might be hard to find one that will accept a microSD
card so you may need a microSD-to-SD (full size) shell (again just a few dollars on ebay).
Just copy the nk.bin to the root folder of the storage card from your PC then transfer the card to the Gumstix and set the boot loader to boot from the card.

You do not need an LCD. You can use the remote desktop app "cerhost" in the "tools" directory. It will work over an Ethernet or USB ActiveSync connection.
Be sure to set your hardware word in the boot loader accordingly.

You can have the both the nk.bin image and your managed app on storage card.
Put nk.bin in the root and your app in a folder with a directory name "startup". The autolaunch startup application built into the image will launch any
.exe file it finds in the "startup" directory of the storage card.

DV

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:59 PM
Very helpful. Thanks a ton!

I am going to probably by an XL6 to avoid using an SD card long term. What is the process for flashing the OS image and my app to internal flash? Or do I flash the OS image and then copy my app using the same cerhost tool?

~Jonathan
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2008 at 9:49 PM
Actually the SD driver is pretty good. I was suprised how fast it loads an image.
To flash, make sure image was built with the "Write image to flash" build option set.
Download with P.B. or use the eshell utility.
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:26 AM
OK, thanks for your help. I have CE6.0 running on my Verdex now, and my Vista desktop recognized that it is connected over USB and launched Windows Mobile Device Center. I can also access files on the Verdex in MyComputer on my desktop.

When I launch 'cerhost_AS' on my desktop, all I see is a white screen. Is there some client application on my Verdex that I need to run for this Remote Display Control to work?

Also, I noticed that CE is going into 'useridle' and then 'systemidle'. How do I wake up the device, and how do I keep it from ever entering power saving modes?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Mar 17, 2008 at 3:06 PM
Hi,

you have to launch 'cerhost' before you boot up your gumstix.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 12:40 AM
What is your hardware stack?
I assume you do not have the Samsung display and that is why you want to know about the remote desktop.
Which remote client to uses depends on if you have Ethernet support (netCF or netMicroSD) or not.
If so use cerhostIP. If you only have USB support use cerhostAS (ActiveSync)
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 12:43 AM
Edited Mar 20, 2008 at 1:11 PM
Also, I removed the battery and power button driver from the latest prebuilt image (in the archive).
If you are rebuilding the image yourself I would suggest you also deselect these two components also till you get up to speed.
Mar 20, 2008 at 3:55 AM
I have the netMicroSD, so I guess I need to try connecting over Ethernet even though I would prefer USB. I have that and the console-vx board. I'll get the newest build so that I don't have the power button driver.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2008 at 1:20 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2008 at 1:25 PM
You said you have a Console-vx but I assume it is not the ConsoleLCD version and you do not have the Samsung display??

The Ethernet based remote desktop gives the best performance.

The defult OSdesign is a headed (display) based design. It will load the approate display driver based on the hardware configuration word in the following order:

If ConsoleLCD selected load Samsung display driver.
else
If Ethernet (netCF or netMicroSD) selected load IP based virtual display driver.
else
if USB client selected load ActiveSync based virtual display driver.

You can monitor the debug port for message info which shows which driver actually loaded.

If you have a Samsung display and you also want remote display (in parallel) it can also be done by running a remote display application and not messing with the display driver

DV