Two Newbie Qs

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM
Hi all,
I've successfully installed Win CE 6.0 on my Gumstix. I need to make C# applications but I need to know:

1) Do I have to install the whole "Windows Embedded CE 6.0" http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7e286847-6e06-4a0c-8cac-ca7d4c09cb56&DisplayLang=en
to make C# applications in Visual Studio 2005 ?

2) Can the Gumstix SDK be used to develop applications on the basix or connex boards?

I hope I'm not asking too stupid Qs.....

Thanks,
Ed
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:10 PM
1) You do not need to install to Platform Builder (Windows Embedded CE 6.0) to do application development. You do need Visual Studio 2005 Standard (at least) to do device development.
And you should install the SDK.

2) No.
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM
Thanks David. You sure saved a lot of work here.

However, I always get an error message when I open any of the Visual Studio files and examples in the "GumstixIII_BIN v1.1" package. Its says "Error retrieving information from user datastore. Platform not found". The same goes when try to make a new Win CE 5.0 project.

I'm sure there is something missing but I don't know what it is. I've been trying to solve this problem for about a month n I'm still stuck here.

Lately, I made a "Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC" application and it worked fine on the Gumstix. I don't know though if it's possible to make use of the GPIO control libraries and other features.

Thanks again,
Ed
Feb 27, 2008 at 5:53 PM
Sorry, don't know about that one.
Did you do a "Full" install with Visual Studio?
Do you have SP 1 installed?
Feb 29, 2008 at 12:27 PM
I solved the problem. In case someone had the same problem, here's how it's solved:
1. make sure you install the SDK for Windows CE 5.0
2. rename or delete the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CoreCon\1.0
when you re-launch Visual Studio 2005, it will create the folder again and you should run Win CE 5.0 project with no problems.
Mar 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM
Ah yes the CoreCon issues. I ran into several especially if you also install CE 5.
CE 5 and CE 6 do not like living together when it comes to Platman, remote tools etc.

I seen your fix suggested in Mr. Cook's blog.