Gumstix Wifi Module as Access Point

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:40 AM
Hi

Is it possible to use the Wifi module as an access point?

Also, is it possible to change the resource files for the Wifi configuration application as it does not fit on the 480x272 Samsung LCD display (as do a number of other dialog boxes, etc)

Thanks
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:20 AM
I just realised something else. The power management driver does not handle Wifi too well.

When entering suspend mode the netMicroSD board is switched off. However, when switching back on the Wifi module no longer works. Ethernet and the microSD card work fine.

Thanks
Apr 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
Very interesting you should mention the WiFi AP as I was just doing some digging on this very point.
See this post in the platform builder news group.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder&p=1&tid=35414b2a-39b3-4e16-8c2d-f46912ceb4c0

It is possible to change the resource files to make them fit ... but its painfull.
The Samsung display has an odd aspect ratio so this stuff would be expected.
But even for QVGA landscape I see this all the time. Why MS does not support this mode better, I don't know.
You can add "QVGA portrait resources" for displays configured as such (240x320) and the experiance is much better.
I found it best to just run remote display and configure for full VGA (640x480) to avid the problem all together.

I'll do some digging on the WiFi power mgnt. This is a very complicated driver, I did not write it and I must admit I don't understand it very well. From your description I suspect this might just be a hardware limitation.

DV