HELP! Did I just kill my brand new verdex XM4 !?!

May 13, 2008 at 10:33 PM
Edited May 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM
GUM> loadb                            <==   (At this point I used Tera term to send the file eboot.nb0, yes from the xm4 directory)
## Ready for binary (kermit) download to 0xA2000000 at 115200 bps...
## Total Size      = 0x000272fb = 160507 Bytes
## Start Addr      = 0xA2000000
GUM> protect off all
Un-Protect Flash Bank # 1
.......................................................................................................................
............ done
GUM> era 1:0-2
Erase Flash Sectors 0-2 in Bank # 1
... done
GUM> cp.b a2000000 0 40000
Copy to Flash... done
GUM> reset

Then nothing.  dead.  (like in doorknob)  :(
Going home now.  
Have a nice day.

May 13, 2008 at 10:48 PM
OK.  Would seem the bytes sent was a tad bit low.
crap o crap.
So, this would mean that teraterm's kermit has a bug, because it did say the transfer was complete.

So now I have a doorstop.

How do I get it back in working order?

Crap.
Coordinator
May 14, 2008 at 12:59 AM
Must admit I never tried it from Teraterm. I have always used Hyperterminal although I would tend to doubt that would be the problem.
Everything else looks right. Is your terminal port using the FFUART channel?

If the bootloader is really corrupted the only answer is JTAG.
I have repaired lost bootloaders by using this method but its not for the faint of heart and requires the proper tools (JFLASH utility, Wiggler and Verdex JTAG board).
Gumstix will reflash for $10.

DV
May 14, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Edited May 14, 2008 at 1:27 PM
I was using the tweener board.

Maybe you could try teraterm as a test.
Don't actually do the cp.b
just to verify that teraterm kermit is indeed broken.  I think it was version 2.3  (http://win6.jp/TeraTerm/index.html)

I am sending my 1 day old XM4 back today.   :(

when I get it again I will also do some tests to verify if hyperterminal sends a different number of bytes
compared to teraterm.

about two years ago, I was also writing a new bootloader to a gumstix and had a bad write.
at the time I was using teraterm as well.   I wasnt sure if it was the problem.

I will make sure this time.

Dan.
May 15, 2008 at 1:47 AM
I used teraterm to reflash my boot loaders, on 3-4 boards.  The fact that only 160,507 bytes were sent suggests that the transfer was interrupted, or perhaps the wrong file was selected - the nb0 files are over 260k.
I have not used the Gumstix reflash service yet (knock on wood) but it's only $10 and it should be no trouble for them to put uboot on the system again.