Blcommon ERROR: -3 - SDCARD BOOT

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Hello i have a verdex XM4-BT, witha a netwifimicrosd and a consolelcd-vx and a samsung LCD, so i did make the step by step for starting wince from the SD card but says nex:

Microsoft Windows CE Bootloader Common Library Version 1.4 Built Mar 12 2008 09:
16:02
Watchdog Reset
For GumstixIII Verdex Platform  1.3 Built Mar 12 2008 09:22:08
PLATFORM INFO: XM4 Verdex @416Mhz
RAM INFO:Size 67108864
FLASH INFO:Size 16646144
FLASH INFO:Bytes per blocks: 131072 Number of blocks: 127
FLASH INFO:Sectors per blocks: 256 Data bytes per sector: 512
Serial number: 01040088441E92ba
Configuring ConsoleLCD18...Configured w/USB client.
Configuring Bluetooth...Configured.
Configuring netMicro-SD...LAN9118: Chip Id 117 Revision 2
Auto Negotiation done
LAN9117 Mac = 00-12-33-55-CC-AA
Configured w/WiFi.
XM4 platform Configured!

Press [ENTER] to launch image stored on SD/MMC or [SPACE] to cancel.

Initiating image launch in 0 seconds.
Launching file resident image  ...
INFO: Trying to locate/initialize MMC/SD Memory card...
INFO: Performing SD/MMC slot initialization.
INFO: No card detected.
ERROR: Failed to detect or initialize image boot device.
Blcommon ERROR: -3
Press any key to reset.

so, befor i did put the SD card on the win xp, format id and paste the NK.BIN provided for the GumstixIII_BIN SDK V1_3 on GumstixIII_BIN SDK V1_3\Image\NK.bin  instalation folder.

What is happening?

Thanks for your help...

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:19 AM
Edited Aug 4, 2008 at 2:25 AM
More then likely your card is not formatted correctly.
Is your nk.bin in the root?

This happens sometimes if you format card with XP instead of the device itsself.
XP likes to choose its own allocation units based on card size.
If this is the case you might try smaller allocation units.

All cards come preformatted. Best not to reformat.

DV
Aug 4, 2008 at 4:31 PM
Hello DV, i ben trying to re format with format FS:FAT A:2048 on xp, but it doesn't fix the problem, and the command don't let use a 512 as an allocation unit, do you know wath is the usual allocation unit to be used for EBOOT? do you know any other way to meke the format, i have abuntu installed on my computer too.

can you check what is the default format for a sd card 128MB.?

Thanks....

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM
hello, i did format the sd with the www.sdcard.org/about/downloads sdcard format utility from panasonic, the format is ok but any way doesn't recognize the card. any sugestion?

Ricardo. ortega-

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM
I downloaded the Panasonic format utility you mentioned.

I reformatted a Kingston 500meg card, copied nk.bin to the root of the card.
It loaded and launched just fine on my setup.

DV
Aug 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Well, it probably my netwifimicrosd have a problem or os broken, i will try a different sdcard just for discard. i'm trying roght now to compile a smaller nk.bin for the verdex xm4.bt, do you know how to laod it on the gumstix within the EBOOT? do you have step by step? or a little explanation and i'll make the step by step...

Thanks dvescovi...

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:36 PM
Hello every one,

well, i did test all the things i can imagine, so it  just don't start up wince, i need some helpe here.

i was trying to start up wince and the eboot says:

Press any key to reset.

it looks like my sdcard is broken, so i did buy a new one and try some times and really doesn`t works, so i did make a few test for discar some hardware damages. i did use a different gumstix with the same netwifimicrosd-vx board an start up a linux OS and make ping to diferent IPs,  even www.google.com and it is working, i didn't mount the sdcard because there is a problem and it supouse to re compile the filesestem for can make it, it could take a long time. So i think the netwifimicrosd-vx is ok. then i did put the EBOOT gumstix again but now my EBOOT is not configuring it , it shows next:

Microsoft Windows CE Bootloader Common Library Version 1.4 Built Mar 12 2008 09:
Hardware or Power-on Reset
Auto Negotiation Failed
LAN9117 Mac = 96-E8-4B-66-6E-10
Configured w/WiFi.
XM4 platform Configured!

Press [ENTER] to launch image stored on SD/MMC or [SPACE] to cancel.

Initiating image launch in 0 seconds.
Press any key to reset.

when id did make mi first post in this discussion it was making the auto negotiation ok, but now i don't know waht is happening, i'm really confused now, i need some ideas.

FIRST POST A FEW DAYS AGO....
Watchdog Reset
Auto Negotiation done
LAN9117 Mac = 00-12-33-55-CC-AA

i did change the netwifimicros for a netcf-vx and it make the auto negotiation ok.
well, a few minutes ago i did replace de eboot for a new one, the same of the demo provided on this codeplex proyect and it works ok but still not making auto negotiation.

i'm working with a verdex xm4-bt, wifistixmicrosd-vx, consoleLCD-vx now,  but i have a netcf-vx, verdex xm4, consolelcd-vx, console-vx, breakout-vx for use in any testing  you can imagine, all ideas are welcome.

why is not working with my netwifimicrosd and it does with the netcf?

is any other way to launch the windows ce without the microsd card?

please guys help me....

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:03 AM

I see your mac address changed. Be carefull when swapping cards if you have same IP address but different mac address you are asking for trouble with
the PC's NIC arp cache.
I have seen problems like this ... nothing to do with the Gumstix ... just basic networking issues.

I have also had good luck formatting the SD cards in another device ... like a digital camera etc. Might try that.

Also try FAT as a last resort. The boot loader should accept FAT12 or FAT32 formats.

If you rebuild the standard image and "uncheck" the "build image for Flash" build option you can download via ethernet to RAM. You can use Platform Builder or the EShell utility included with the SDK to do the actual download.

Even the XM4 has enought RAM to hold the image when built this way.

The XM4 does not have enought FLASH to hold the standard image (if built for flash) but if you remove some components ... like the Compact Framwork the resulting image is small enough to fit in onboard flash (be sure to check the final nk.bin size before you try to flash it.)

If you have a netCF also you should be able to place the prebuilt image on a CF card and launch the same way by just changing the boot loaders launch option. Does that work?

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM
Hello, i just did solve the problem and you won't belive what just happend, i did fix it with a solder iron and some flux, my netwifimicrosd-vx was broken, it has defective welding on the microsd card holder.

well i'm now working with and lerning about the wince and platform builder, Thanks for your help....