netPRO Config

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Hi All,

I 've just flash my gumstix with the latest EBOOT , but no matter what configuration a give for my net card (netPRO wo/wifi) i get an error during boot.

Configuring netPro...Error! Not a LAN9118 Family. Init Failed.  Also the card has no MAC ADDRESS (00-00-00-00-00-00).

Before flashing with with EBOOT the net card was working .

My Gustix config :

LCD Pro Pack

• verdex pro XL6P
• consoleLCD16-vx
• netpro-vx
• Samsung LCD

I boot from an microSD just fine but i have to network card

Any Ideas ?????

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM

You need to set a MAC address or else the driver does not believe a net card is available.

DV

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:49 AM
To: dvescovi@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: netPRO Config [GumstixIII:74064]

Hi All,

I 've just flash my gumstix with the latest EBOOT , but no matter what configuration a give for my net card (netPRO wo/wifi) i get an error during boot.

Configuring netPro...Error! Not a LAN9118 Family. Init Failed. Also the card has no MAC ADDRESS (00-00-00-00-00-00).

Before flashing with with EBOOT the net card was working .

My Gustix config :

LCD Pro Pack

• verdex pro XL6P
• consoleLCD16-vx
• netpro-vx
• Samsung LCD

I boot from an microSD just fine but i have to network card

Any Ideas ?????

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (GumstixIII@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email GumstixIII@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Thank you for your reply ,

I suspected it. But i've lost my U-BOOT backup and i did not kept my MAC ADDRESS !!!!!

So i'm going to convert a u-boot bin file from gumstix to SRec file text and try to reflash the device.

I'm going to the right way here , or  there is an easier way to overcome this ???

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM

You can pick anything for a MAC address as long as you don’t use it in a production environment.

If you want to be official you need to register with the I.E.E.E. to get a reserved block of addresses.

Nobody in the hobby world does this. They just pick something. The main thing is that is not duplicated on your network.

DV

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: netPRO Config [GumstixIII:74064]

Thank you for your reply ,

I suspected it. But i've lost my U-BOOT backup and i did not kept my MAC ADDRESS !!!!!

So i'm going to convert a u-boot bin file from gumstix to SRec file text and try to reflash the device.

I'm going to the right way here , or there is an easier way to overcome this ???

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (GumstixIII@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email GumstixIII@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I already did that but no luck.

Still getting the same error ....

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Did you save the settings and reset?

Are you using prebuilt image or one you generated?

DV

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:47 PM

I already did that but no luck.

Still getting the same error ....

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I use the prebuild image from the SDK and yes i saved the settings and  reset. I see the MAC ADDRESS that i gave in EBOOT but the error still exists.

I also tried to flash with bin2srec but i get an error in the end of file like a previous post .

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:54 AM

The prebuilt image was tested working Ethernet. Make sure you have the hardware dword set correctly.

The problem with the bin2serec is the terminator record is missing. You can hand edit (it is just a text file) the file as the post describes.

DV

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:34 PM

I use the prebuild image from the SDK and yes i saved the settings and reset. I see the MAC ADDRESS that i gave in EBOOT but the error still exists.

I also tried to flash with bin2srec but i get an error in the end of file like a previous post .

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:46 AM

I managed to flash and boot U-BOOT and get net MAC-address.

i reflash the device and i entered the mac address to network card ,but still having the same problem.

hardware DWORD 0x0000d026

any suggestions ??

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:58 AM

The error comes from the sensing of the LAN chip ID and revision. My guess is the LAN part has changed.

It’s not uncommon for Gumstix to change parts without notice.

This is the code where the sensing takes place:

// read the chip ID and revision.

g_chipRevision = GetRegDW(g_pLAN911x, ID_REV);

if (((g_chipRevision & 0x0FF00000) == 0x01100000) ||

((g_chipRevision & 0xFF000000) == 0x11000000))

{

OALMSGS(TRUE, (L"LAN9118: Chip Id %x Revision %d\r\n",

(g_chipRevision >> 16) & 0xFFFF, (g_chipRevision & 0xFFFF)));

}

else

{

OALMSGS(TRUE, (L"Error! Not a LAN9118 Family. Init Failed.\r\n"));

return FALSE;

}

If this is the case the only option is to replace the dll. I do not know if SMSC has a prebuild ARM version for this one.

You can always down load the source from SMSC and rebuild it but I don’t know if that is all that may be needed.

DV

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:46 PM

I managed to flash and boot U-BOOT and get net MAC-address.

i reflash the device and i entered the mac address to network card ,but still having the same problem.

hardware DWORD 0x0000d026

any suggestions ??

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Thank very much for your time . I'm looking on it, all keep you posted.